Thursday, April 7, 2011

Modern Medicine

A few years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I was SHOCKED at first and little bit in denial. I had NONE of the typical symptoms. I presented to my doctor with clumsiness and just feeling mentally not all there. I would forgot words, or just say the wrong word entirely. I was tired all the time, but I worked nights so that didn't seem that big of a deal.  I was told my levels were just slightly out of the normal range and that I may feel better. If not, to come back in and we could discuss what else might be happening in my body.  I took Synthroid for about 6 weeks and didn't really feel any different. So I stopped taking it and made an appointment to see my ANP. Well that was a HUGE mistake. It only took a few days and I could really tell it WAS helping! 


It was a HUGE blessing to find out what was going on. I felt so much better. It was also great I found out before we started trying to have babies.  Untreated hypothyroidism can cause miscarriages, so what a great blessing to have that figured out before hand.  


All of that to say...this week I missed 2 days in a row :( I literally couldn't open my eyes yesterday morning I was so exhausted. It took me about 30 minutes laying in bed to wake up.  I don't know how I missed them, but geeze am I paying for it now. Not just tired...I've been tired...remember I worked night shift :)  EXHAUSTED! Like "I hope I don't fall asleep while Inara plays" exhausted. It is so bizarre how that little pill works and has changed my life! To think that I lived probably years that way amazes me. I could sleep 12 hours and it was not enough.  What a huge blessing God has given me in this medicine!


I posed the following on facebook: Bad news: I forgot to take my thyroid medicine 2 days in a row and 
am exhausted! Good news: Inara thinks my yawning in hilarious and I'm entertaining her easily


A few people posted how they understand because they have Hypothyroidism too. Its crazy how common it seems. And how its probably not even talked about because once treated it isn't a problem anymore. I am so thankful for the common grace of modern medicine. I have been so aware of it over the past few years, and I am very thankful for it too! 


So what are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...