Friday, April 1, 2011

Bio

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy


I started reading Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy recently on my Nook. It is kind of slow to start, but once it gets going I find my self not being able to put it down. I am currently on page 233 of 651. There are interesting things about it too. In his time, he would write a thesis of what he was learning or how he disagreed with what was going on. He would send it to pastors, theologians, and other people in his family. Essentially, he blogged! I think its so funny how sometimes people think technology is ruining things. But God's word says there is "nothing new under the sun", I just think that is a perfect example. His thesis are equivalent to the MANY pastors that are currently critiquing/blogging about a controversial book about Hell.

Even though I am not even half way through the book, it is SO clear how we must be good bereans and examine what people say and KNOW what the God's Word says.  There were pastors and Christians in Germany who didn't know their bible. So they were easily led into the trap of the Nazi's that Hitler was their savior.  What a good warning this book is. There are many false gospels that our world teaches today. But unless I am in God's word, loving it and living it, I will too be led astray by these "fine-sounding arguments".

It has also made me thing of politics right now. When Dietrich was upset with the church/state relationship in Germany, it as if he was the ONLY one who could see how this slippery slope would end. No one else seemed as alarmed with what the future would hold unless there was change. It made me think of Tea Party members. I am not affiliated with them, but I have been wondering if that is why they seem to get SO animated. Do they see our government in a light that no one else does? While I don't agree with lots of things the tea party does, it does make me wonder if this is how they feel. Any Tea Party readers want to comment?

Dear readers, what are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...