Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bonhoeffer

So this week I finished Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy.  It was really good. I really enjoy books from this time period, not it a weird way. Its just lots of awful and amazing things happened during this time period and it is good to learn about these things. It is amazing to see how Bonhoeffer and others risked their lives (and ultimately were martyred) to obey what God had commanded them.

I was also happy that it was written by someone who could explain Bonhoeffer's thoughts. He was a VERY intelligent guy, and I had a hard time understanding exactly what he was saying. We have The Cost of Discipleship, a book he wrote throughout his life. But after reading his biography, I am not sure I would be able to follow it. I mean I am no dummy, but I am not the intellectual type. Example: I don't like C.S. Lewis...don't judge. It's just no my style, not the content, but the method.

I do have some things that I did not like about the book.

  1. I did not like how the author would often give away part of Bonhoeffer's story, but then add "but we will get to that later". It wasn't a tease to me, but it often gave away part of the story that I didn't know about, and took away from what he was saying was happening now. It was kind of annoying and happened multiple times a chapter.
  2. I read it on my NOOK and was  651 pages long. I know about maybe 25 of those pages were notes and stuff like that. But when the book ended (in my opinion) abruptly right after his death on page 549 I was shocked. Of course I knew he died, I guess I just expected the author to do  a little more follow up on his death. Like how it affected his family or how the church was changed after the fall of the Nazis. I know the book is about him and not his family or church...but that was him. He was who he was because of his family and his devotion to Christ's church was amazing. So I was just surprised that it ended when he died.
That's really my only 2 complaints and the second complaint could be because I read The Hiding Place (which takes place in the same time period) and it has follow up as to what happened after the war. But it can't really be compared the Corrie's book. They are just written differently. Corrie wrote hers, and Deitrich did not wrote his. And while they both speak of biblical truths they do it differently and suffered differently, so they are just different books.  That being said I HIGHLY recommend it. Unfortunately it is not a "lendable" book on my Nook :( so I can't share it with anyone. But you should just buy it anyway because its good. Ps here is is wikipage.

Next on my book list Bossypants, by Tina Fey. Kind of a funny transition to read the amazing story of Deitrich Bonhoeffer to the memoirs of Tina Fey. But I'll let you know how it goes.  Any other good books out there I should read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...