Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Water For Elephants

Friday we had our book club meeting for "Water for Elephants". I thought it was on alright book, but everyone else really liked it. It is also being turned into a movie. What I didn't like about it was the pace. It seemed to move really slow. The book is almost 400 pages and it didn't get interesting to me until about the last 100 pages. Also there were a few sexual scenes that I could have done with out.

I realized something at our meeting

I don't like to read. Sound funny coming from someone in a book club huh? But its true, the general action of reading is not enjoyable. I want to read for a purpose- to learn something or grow as a christian. When I read our book, I was reading to get to the end and find out what happened and not just reading to enjoy. I think this is ok and I am going to continue in our book club for a few reason. It has really been a great way to get to know my friends. This past month we talked about politics, morality, and abortion--not your everyday topics with friends. So it has been a good insight to the heart/minds of some of my friends...to see what they see.

While I don't like to read it was a good time discussing things, getting off topic, and hanging out with some cool girls. Have you read it? What did you think? Next up "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

2 comments:

  1. I treated myself to a birthday nook book and I got 'the other daughter'. I got in about 7 pages and it basically about horrid things done to small girls. So, I won't be reading it. I almost got water for elephants. Dang.

    A Thousand Splendid Suns is really good. It has some hard to read parts, it takes place in Afganistan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can bring the paperback book up on saturday if you would like?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...