Thursday, October 7, 2010

Suicide

Well now that I have your attention with a dramatic title. Lets talk about it. Suicide is a real problem. I have multiple friends who have lost loved ones to suicide.  My friend Sara and Lyndsey have been helping out at the AFSP Out of the Darkness Walk for 2 years. Justin and I walked last year to raise awareness, but we can't this year. That's why I thought I could still help raise awareness even though I can't walk. So here is my 2 cents (if you are interested).

In the medical field, we can fix broken bones, sick tummies, and messed up just about everything.....except the heart/brain. Mental illness is a real thing...it is an illness. Just like diabetes, heart disease, or a headache. There are symptoms and there are treatments. Mental illness is the same way...there are symptoms that point to suicide and there are treatments for severe depression too. I'll give a personal example of this..ME!

In high school I went through a very "dark" period. I would say I was "depressed". I was tired, lazy, tearful, and frequently had morbid thoughts. I thought no one loved me, no one cared. If only I could do something to get their attention, then maybe I would feel better. I thought about cutting my self  "accidentally" or even throwing my self down the stairs to get injured. While I didn't want to die, I did want to hurt my self...to feel something...to feel anything. I am thankful God intervened with wonderful parents I knew I could talk to. I told them about how I was feeling and they took me to a counselor. It was then God also opened my eyes to His Gospel. Through the 2 of these things I was able to heal and see there is a reason to live...CHRIST!

I can share this now because of what He has done in my life. He saved me. My life was empty, dark, and lonely. No wonder my heart was "sick", I was living my life apart from the most wonderful Creator who I was born to be in relation with.

Has suicide been apart of your story? Wanna get involved? Wanna help? Here is how!

  1. Register here to walk for the AFSP
  2. TALK! People are lonely and empty and have no hope. Offer it to them with the love of Christ and show them they are not alone, they are not the only ones broken
  3. TALK...some more. Mental illness is a taboo subject, but it doesn't need to be. People who have headaches aren't ashamed they take medicine for it. Lets talk about depression and suicide so people feel free to ask for help.
If you are reading this and you think you need help. PLEASE ask!  You can call this suicide hot-line: 1-800-273-TALK or email me and I would love to meet with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...